Santa Engracia High Water Tank
Madrid. Spain. 1907 – 1985 (restored)
Architect: Luis Moya, Ramón Aguinaga, Diego Martín Montalvo. (Restored by Javier Alau and Antonio Lopera)

  

The constant growth of Madrid to the north
with increasingly high buildings caused problems of water pressure in many
areas, so already in 1900 the engineer Diego Martín Montalvo planned the
construction of three elevated deposits that would come to solve this lack. However, just one of them was built, made by Luis Moya Idígoras, which was completed
with a central elevator drawn by Ramon de Aguinaga. With
a capacity of 1,500 m3, the raised deposit is an interesting work of industrial
character and great structural beauty, made in brick on a circular-shaped layout plan and with
buttresses in slope, that is finished by means of a lowered metallic dome that
covers the glass proper; while
the central elevator, also of brick, has been se on a rectangular-shaped layout closed by large
arcades. In
disuse since 1952, the warehouse was converted in 1986 in the Exhibition Hall
following a respectful project of rehabilitation by the architects Alau and
Lopera, who put in value the extraordinary space wealth of the interior,
dominated by the spectacular metallic structure.
El
constante crecimiento de Madrid hacia el norte con edificios cada vez más
elevados provocó problemas de presión de agua en numerosas zonas por lo que ya
en 1900 el ingeniero Diego Martín Montalvo planeó la construcción de tres
depósitos elevados que viniesen a resolver esta carencia. Sin embargo, de éstos
sólo se construyó uno, realizado por Luis Moya Idígoras, que se completaba con
una central elevadora trazada por Ramón de Aguinaga. Con una capacidad de 1.500
m3, el depósito elevado es una interesante obra de carácter industrial de gran
belleza estructural, realizada en ladrillo sobre planta circular y con
contrafuertes en talud, que se remata mediante una cúpula metálica rebajada que
cubre el vaso propiamente dicho; mientras que la central elevadora, asimismo de
ladrillo, presenta planta rectangular cerrada por grandes arcadas. En desuso
desde 1952, el depósito fue convertido en 1986 en Sala de Exposiciones
siguiendo un respetuoso proyecto de rehabilitación de los arquitectos Alau y
Lopera que puso en valor la extraordinaria riqueza espacial del interior,
dominada por la espectacular estructura metálica de soporte.

Cite:  
“Santa Engracia High Water Tank“. Hidden Architecture